Bankruptcy And Child Support

  • Bankruptcy And Child Support

Bankruptcy And Child Support

Call: 888-297-6203

Your child support debt can get under control using chapter 7 or chapter 13 bankruptcy. The best thing is, to erase other debts in Chapter 7 so that you will have more money to pay towards your child support in the chapter 13 repayment plan. Even though child support is a non-dischargeable debt that you can’t wipe out, you will have certain options like erasing your other debts in Chapter 7 and devoting more funds towards child support rearranging afterward or paying off child support over the three to five-year plan in chapter 13.

Child support doesn’t go away

In bankruptcy, some debts are considered to be more important than others, and those should be paid in full before the payment of any other debt. Child support falls under one of those priority debts if it meets these criteria:

1) Child support arose after a separation agreement or divorce.

2) The debt is to be paid to the spouse for the benefit of the child.

3) it is to support your spouse or the child.

Also, throughout the case, you will be responsible to pay your monthly payments of child support. The Automatic state does not apply to child support.

Overall debt reduction with Bankruptcy

The biggest advantage of chapter 7 bankruptcy is, it removes most of your debts. Be it credit card balances, personal loans, or medical bills, unlike chapter 13, you don’t have to pay it into a 3 or 5-year repayment plan. Chapter 7 works best for people who don’t have enough money to repay creditors. Remember that are some non-dischargeable debts, that even after your case you may have going on. Not all are paid by bankruptcy.

Consult a Bankruptcy Attorney

If you want to file for bankruptcy and you owe child support arrears, it would be better if you consult a good attorney first. A good attorney will help tell you how you can adequately repay your debts. You can also contact Recovery Law Group from Los Angeles & Dallas, TX for the same. Contact – (888-297-6203).