Recently, the Eastern Division of the U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois passed a judgment by denying all the attempts made by the defendant to dismiss the counts against them. In this FDCPA/FCRA case, the accused –Bayview Loan Servicing, LLC has failed to correct the error in lieu of the plaintiff’s mortgage obligation after filing for a bankruptcy discharge.
Facts of the Above case:
- Before the merger between Countrywide Home Loans and Bank of America in September 2012, the plaintiff had carried out 2 mortgage loans with Countrywide Home Loans. After the merger, his loans were under Bank of America. In December, he was informed that his previous loan of mortgage were now taken over by Bayview loan Servicing and he owes the sum amount to them.
- After learning about the new acquision, the plaintiff applied for bankruptcy under chapter 13 in December 2012. As per the Bankruptcy plan, he agreed to surrender his home. An Order of Discharge for the same was received by him in May 2014.
- After the Order of Discharge was issued, Credco (Defendant No 2) without the plaintiff’s consent, requested and received all the copied of the plaintiffs Experian Credit Report.
- In the mean while, the plaintiff was constantly receiving Post-discharge communications from Bayview. As per the communications, he had failed to pay his mortgage payments and hence faced foreclosure of his home as per the bankruptcy plan.
- As per the plaintiff’s claim, Experian and Equifax’s Credit report contained errors as per his mortgage with Bayview. He alleges, that despite informing both the reporting agencies of the error, Equifax did nothing to correct the error. On the other hand, Experian did attempt to correct the error, but failed to eliminate few information.
- The plaintiff also alleged that Bayview had violated the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) and the Illinois Consumer Fraud Act (ICFA). Credco (Defendant No 2) has also been accused for violating the FCRA.
In this case, the Court accepted the plaintiff’s plea and passed the judgment in his favor. As per the court, FDCPA’s norms were violated by Bayview and hence, all motions to dismiss were denied.
If you are one such victim and believe that yours rights have been violated under FDCPA or FCRA, do not hesitate to contact the best Recovery law Group Firm to come to your aid. With experienced litigators, your case with be handled with utmost ease and professionalism. To get in touch you can reach out to them on their website or simply call them (888-297-6203) and fix an appointment to get immediate redressal.