Bankruptcy is a decision that people generally do not take lightly. This is something that is approached when you have exhausted every other option for debt settlement. Everything said and done, bankruptcy is indeed extremely stressful, and it is better to be aware of everything related to bankruptcy to ease some of the pressure associated with bankruptcy. Lawyers of Los Angeles based bankruptcy law firm Recovery Law Group help you determine whether bankruptcy is something you should consider by listing some important points like:
- Assess your financial situation calmly before filing for bankruptcy, unless you are facing foreclosure or repossession actions.
- Being married doesn’t mean that both partners need to file for bankruptcy. Additionally, your bankruptcy will not affect your spouse’s credit score.
- You need to have money to file for bankruptcy. The bankruptcy filing fee ranges around $300 apart from the bankruptcy lawyer charges which might be around $1,500-5,000. If you cannot afford to pay the bankruptcy fees, you can pay it in installments or get a waiver for it. However, the clause attached to this generosity is that you cannot hire an attorney for your bankruptcy case.
- You will need to attend one hearing for the creditor’s meeting.
- You need to opt for a credit counseling course 180 days prior to bankruptcy filing as well as one after bankruptcy course. You can opt to do the course online too.
- You won’t be able to get rid of all debts through bankruptcy, only unsecured non-priority debts like medical bills, credit card bills, etc. will be wiped off. Child support, alimony, IRS, etc. won’t be eliminated through bankruptcy.
- Bankruptcy will remain on your credit report for 7 years in case of chapter 13 bankruptcy and 10 years in chapter 7 bankruptcy. This can affect your ability to get a mortgage.
- Though bankruptcy can affect your ability to get credit, however, the situation is not as bad as it is being projected. However, you need to take care that the interest rate is not very high.
- It is important to have an experienced lawyer to help you with your situation. you can call 888-297-6023 to speak with experienced bankruptcy lawyers.
- If you have any queries regarding your finances, you should discuss it with your attorney.
- Your bankruptcy, despite being public record, is not made public; i.e. not everyone comes to know of it.
- You can protect your belongings in bankruptcy, federal and state government offer exemptions to protect your property.
- You need to list all your debts you wish to get rid of while filing your bankruptcy petition.
- Mention all your assets including property while filing for bankruptcy.
- Your previous 6 months income will determine whether you can file for chapter 7 or chapter 13 bankruptcy. If the income is less than the state median, you can get rid of debts through chapter 7 bankruptcy, else you can opt for chapter 13 bankruptcy.
Once you are aware of what bankruptcy entails, you are less likely to be intimidated by it. Getting a consult with experienced bankruptcy lawyers will help you gather more information on this topic.